When you decide to Learn to Scuba Dive Northern Virginia you start your Dive Training by finding a local Dive Center in Northern Virginia. There you take the Open Water Course. If you are like me you will become “hooked” on scuba diving and will want to continue your scuba diving education.
If there is any one scuba diving certification level that has a magic ring to it, that would be the Divemaster Certification. This is true where ever you scuba dive, not just in Northern Virginia. The Divemaster is regarded at the epitome of scuba diving skill, knowledge and perfection. The PADI Divemaster is the first rank of scuba diving professional in the PADI system of scuba diving education.
Completing PADI Divemaster Training
Prior to starting your scuba training for PADI Divemaster you will have needed to have completed the PADI Rescue Diver course and have logged at minimum of 40 dives. When you are ready to begin your Divemaster Training you start by selecting a Dive Center. Any PADI Dive Center can train a PADI Divemaster but only a PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Dive Center, like Aquatic Adventures Scuba Academy, in Alexandria, Virginia can also train Assistant Instructors and PADI Instructors as well.
Once you begin the PADI Divmaster course you will be working closely with a PADI Instructor. In the Divemaster program you expand your dive knowledge and hone your skills to the professional level. PADI Divemaster training develops your leadership abilities, qualifying you to supervise dive activities and assist instructors with student divers. PADI Divemaster is the prerequisite certification for both the PADI Assistant Instructor and PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor certifications.
During the PADI Divemaster program, you learn dive leadership skills through both classroom and independent study. You complete water skills and stamina exercises, as well as training exercises that stretch your ability to organize and solve problems as well as help others improve their scuba. You put this knowledge into action through a structured internship or series of practical training exercises. Practical training exercises include assisting in teaching both entry level and continuing education level, supervising certified divers, and experience in both search & recovery and deep diving.
The Training is very thorough and is an enjoyable learning experience.
Duties of a PADI Divemaster
After becoming certified as a PADI Divemaster you will be authorized to:
- Supervise both training and non-training-related activities by planning, organizing and directing dives
- Assist a PADI Instructor during the training sessions for any PADI Diver course
- Conduct the PADI Skin Diver course and PADI Discover Snorkeling program
- Conduct the PADI Discover Local Diving experience
- Conduct the PADI Scuba Review program
- If qualified as a Discover Scuba Diving Leader, independently conduct the PADI Discover Scuba Diving program.
- Earn the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Specialty Instructor rating to be able to teach the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer specialty.
- Independently guide Open Water Diver course students on the tour portion of Open Water Diver course Training Dives 2, 3 and 4 at a ratio of two student divers per certified Divemaster.
- Accompany Open Water Diver students under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor during:
- surface swims to and from the entry/exit point and during navigational exercises
- when the instructor conducts a skill, such as an ascent or descent, a Divemaster can remain with other student divers (with an individual student or buddy team)
- Accompany student divers during Adventure Dives or Specialty training dives under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor.
- Conduct the PADI Seal Team Aqua-Missions.
- Conduct subsequent dives under an instructor’s indirect supervision for Discover Scuba Diving participants after participants have satisfactorily completed the first dive with a PADI Instructor.
- Teach Emergency First Response courses after successfully completing an Emergency First Response Instructor course
PADI Divemaster is only the first step into what can be a fun and very rewarding way to spend countless hours of scuba diving enjoyment.